There have been big talks and speculations on the effect of the new 5G network being rolled out in 2020-2021, but exactly what will it affect? The new 5G network is the 5th generation of mobile networking, known to be the latest network standard after the previous four generations, enabling faster connections to applications, devices & much more.
The biggest advantage of 5G is the significant boost in transfer speeds, drastically reducing latency compared to previous generations. Thus, this generation of mobile network connectivity is expected to be the fastest & the one to provide the best user experience and enable remote work.
How will 5G help improve the user experience?
Now that the 5G network is starting to roll out; What effect will it have on Android & iOS devices? Let’s take a more in-depth look into this technology and analyze each aspect it will transform in the mobile ambit. The three main elements that will affect drastically are:
- Speed: The speed at which data is expected to travel from the server to the user will be almost instant with promised speed improvements of 5G said to be 10x faster than 4G, making it the fastest network ever.
This speed will help streamline application download, making them available at a finger snap, faster access to information, the lowest latencies allowing for remote work, and much more; This, in return, will improve user experience and satisfaction.
Developers are also at an advantage; 5G’s speed on iOS & Android mobiles will allow software developers to pack more APIs, making their applications more potent than ever before while retaining the fast transfer of information.
- Less lag, less buffering, more enjoyment: Due to the low latency of 5G & fast transfer speeds, users can stream off their iOS & Android devices using applications such as Netflix & Prime Video. Allowing for an enjoyable watch session with no buffering or lowering of quality.
- Reliable Connections: 5G towers are to be the most reliable means of connection in terms of the number of users being allocated to be connected.
More users than ever before can be connected to the servers at any point in time, making 5G much more readily available than other generations were ever before without any crashes or disconnections.
Now that we listed the advantages to users of the 5G network how about application developers? Surely, they will benefit from 5G? Yes. 5G will help software & application developers create much more innovative solutions than traditional applications for mobiles. They can now venture out and develop for emerging technologies such as NB IoT device applications, automation applications, AI applications & VR applications, all of which will benefit from the 5G networks’ advantages.
Why is 5G important to users & developers?
Well, 5G is important in a lot of ways for consumers, developers & cooperate businesses. More than ever before, we are seeing rises of emerging technologies not possible before without the existence of 5G. With faster transfer speeds, better connectivity than its previous generations & a more reliable connection than ever before, it’s clearly stated that 5G will be an integral part of the future. 5G already with a minimal rollout in 2020, has shaped the agriculture, financial, engineering, and several other industries’ economies.
These advantages are not limited to but have been seen in forms of:
- Self-driving (Automated) vehicles.
- Touch-less door locks activated with applications.
- Wearables providing health & entertainment resources (Watches & much more).
- Applications for monitoring and managing agricultural lands (drones, self-watering systems, weather reporters & much more).
- Connection based NB IoT operators.
These are just some examples which are implemented & have received a lot of praise. The full capability of 5G technologies are not yet discovered. However, one thing is sure, with the use of an Android or iOS device with 5G network technologies, more and more capabilities will be discovered and developed in the future.
Are they any drawbacks or obstacles for developers?
Like anything in life, some things will have drawbacks & obstacles which can be fixed with continuous improvement. Some drawbacks can be the following but are not limited to:
- Security: Like any new technology, the first implementation will have vulnerabilities & defects which will need patching. Patching and improving these will ensure the 5G network and its applications will be secure, thus running optimally.
- More users than ever before: 5G networks were introduced for the reliability, speed and capability to add more users than ever before. Due to the expected change in users’ amount, application developers must create a solution that will cope with the increased userbase; otherwise, the application and network may crash.
- Features: Now, as we know, 5G networks will allow for more features on applications than any other network, but what if an older Android or iOS device cannot support 5G? Multiple versions need to be made to overcome this obstacle; otherwise, the user experience will be flawed.
The new introduction of 5G networks promises three key aspects: speed, low latency & reliability. Combining these with iOS & Android applications, the improvement in user experience and satisfaction will be astronomical compared to 4G.
The sectors that will see the most advantage with the use of 5G networks are Logistics, Healthcare, Manufacturing, AR & VR, and smart cities.
Developers will incorporate the 5G technologies to mobile systems such as iOS & Android to bring solutions to all sectors to improve productivity, entertainment, user experience and satisfaction. While its full capacities are yet to be seen, we have no doubt it’s going to be huge.
Big Kitty Labs is one of the leading software development companies in Columbus Ohio that has been developing applications, websites, and software for over 10 years. Contact us for free discovery and consultation on your next project!